$3K ASLT Oktoberfest Presented by Asymchem
Willkommen to the $3K ASLT Oktoberfest on October 22-24, 2021 in San Diego, California, USA. Bitte join us for an awesome weekend of fun and tischtennis. We would like to thank Taste of Hunan and Asymchem for sponsoring the tournament. Danke schön!
Whether the tournament will be USATT-Sanctioned is still pending. We will update the page once we receive confirmation whether the tournament is sanctioned or not (hopefully by the end of September).
Curious what our tournament is like? Check out the homepage of our previous tournament and our Youtube channel. We’ve doubled the prize money for several rating events and adjusted the schedule to make the event run smoother.
Feel free to scroll through the tournament webpage or jump to any of the following sections:
- Tournament Information
- Additional Player and Spectator Information
Schedule of Events
More details about the Brazilian team event can be found here.
Asymchem is a leading global CDMO providing partners with efficient, flexible, and high-quality small molecule solutions.
Thank you Taste of Hunan, a local restaurant that specializes in traditional Hunan cuisine, for sponsoring this tournament.
If you are interested in sponsoring future tournaments, please fill out this Google form, and we will reach out to you.
The tournament will be held at After School Learning Tree table tennis club in San Diego, California. The address is 11525 Sorrento Valley Rd STE A, San Diego, CA 92121. We will use 8 Joola 3000 SC tables, Nittaku 3 star premium balls, and red carpet flooring.
The tournament will be played on 8 tables in two rooms. Pictures of the two rooms are shown below. Note that during the tournament, there will be fewer tables and more space. Note that on Friday, we will use 12 tables.
- Date. The tournament will be held on October 22-24, 2021.
- Entry Deadline. The entry deadline is October 20, 2021.
- Registration. The tournament is live for registration on Omnipong where you can also view which other players have entered this tournament.
- Registration fees. In addition to the event fees, we will charge a $10 tournament registration fee.
- Payments. As a result of our cap on entries, in order for your spot in our tournament to be guaranteed, entries must be paid in full beforehand either online on Omnipong (preferred) or in person at After School Learning Tree. We will periodically remove unpaid entries from the players list on Omnipong.
- Prizes. Prizes will be cut in half for events that fail to receive 20 entries.
- Eligibility. We will be using the official ratings list as of October 15, 2021 to determine eligibility cutoffs for rating events. Unrated players may not advance from rating events unless they have an estimated rating from a USATT-certified coach. Since the event will likely be USATT sanctioned, players in all events other than Brazilian Teams must be USATT members.
- Self-reporting Ratings If you do not yet have a USATT rating or feel that you are severely overrated due to the long layoff during the pandemic or other reasons, you may also self-report your estimated rating (be honest, please) using this Google form. Provided that your self-reported rating is within reason, you will be permitted to advance from all the events you enter in. Please note that you still need to register for the tournament first on Omnipong before we can adjust your rating.
- Match length. The Open Singles semi-finals and finals will be four out of seven. Earlier rounds in the Open Singles may also be four out of seven depending on which players register and spectator demand. All other matches will be three out of fives.
- Max Entries. In order for the event to run on time, we will be placing a maximum number of entries on each event. The number of max entries are posted on Omnipong.
- Waitlist. If an event has already received its maximum number of entries and you would like to be placed on the waitlist, please fill out this form.
- Round robins. Round robins will be groups of four.
- Seeded Players. In order to ensure that the event runs on time and that all round robins have four people, up to four top-rated players may be seeded directly into the knock-out round in each event. Players who do not wish to be seeded directly into the knock-out round may opt out. Seeded players will have their matches start no earlier than 90 minutes after the event’s official start time. For the Open Singles, seeded players will start their matches no earlier than 12 pm. Please do not assume that you are seeded unless we contact you first.
- Finish Time. All events will finish on the same day they start, although players should expect the night events to finish up to four hours (we plan to finish in 3) after the event’s start time.
- Contact. Please text (714) 386-0716 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reach a tournament representative.
Rules for Brazilian Teams (NON-SANCTIONED)
Each team consists of four players rated under 6000. Before each match, a team must submit an order for its players. To begin a match, each team sends the first player in their line-up to the table to play one point. Whoever wins the point stays on the table and earns a point for the team. Whoever loses the point must leave the table, and the next player in line on his/her team will play the next point. The challenging player always serves. The process continues (once all players on the team have lost a point, the first player goes back onto the table again) until a team reaches 33 points (no deuce). Due to the nature of this event, it is non-sanctioned. Watch the finals of the Brazilian Team event at the $4K ASLT Weekend to get a feel for the format:
Ratings for Brazilian Teams
Due to the high variance in this playing format, ratings will largely be ignored when determining the draw. The top two rated teams will be seeded on opposite halves of the draw. The rest of the draw will be determined either randomly or through meme potential (e.g. USC vs UCLA in the first round).
Unrated players may play the tournament provided that they self-report a fair and accurate rating. The minimum reported rating is 1000. However, unrated players may report a rating of 0 under one of two circumstances:
- They are a kid or college student who has just started to learn how to play
- They are a garage player who never plays at a ping pong club and self-identifies as a noob. For a baseline reference, anyone who knows a pendulum serve or how to open against underspin is certainly NOT a noob.
Any team caught trying to pass a club player as a noob will be defaulted immediately without refund.
If you are a higher-rated player having trouble forming a team of four club-players under 6000, we encourage you to build a team of three club-players rated under 6000 and a self-identified noob who is a classmate, friend, spouse, or parent.
Help Forming a Team for Brazilian Teams
If you are team of three looking for a fourth player or you are an individual looking to complete a team of three, please fill out this form.
Additional Player and Spectator Information
Request to Change Your Draw
Draws will be posted once an event fills up. Our goal is that you let to play the players that you want to play at our tournament. If for whatever reason you would prefer a different draw, please fill out this Google form. We will do our best to accommodate your request as soon as possible.
While it is optional for you to provide a reason for your request, and we will do our best to grant all requests, if several requests conflict we will grant higher priority to requests with a good reason. Several possible reasons for wanting a new draw include (but are not limited to):
- There is one person who you normally play with all the time (so you do not want to play each other at the tournament) who you are slated to play in the round robin or an early single-elimination round
- There is a certain player, or a certain style of play, that you really want to play
- You have been seeded out of the round robin directly into the knockout stage but would prefer to play a round robin
- You are slated to play someone in the group or first round multiple times in the tournament
- You believe your side of the draw if significantly harder than the other side
Food for Sale at Venue
We will be selling lunchboxes from Taste of Hunan starting around noontime on Saturday and Sunday. An example lunch box is shown in the image below. We have specifically asked the requested the restaurant to add less oil so that the meals are easily digestible and you will be ready to play soon after eating it. We offer three variations: beef, chicken, and vegetarian.
We will be selling each lunchbox for $13 at the tournament.
At our last tournament, these lunchboxes were extremely popular and the non-vegetarian flavors sold out in less than half an hour, so come ready for some great food!
If you like the lunchboxes, please consider eating at the restaurant, where there is a much more extensive menu, for a full meal later.
We will not be selling certain Oktoberfest-related beverages at the venue, but there is a biergarten in the parking lot next to us.
Summary of Relevant Forms
Our tournament is headlined by two spectator-friendly events on Saturday: the Open Singles and the Brazilian Teams event. We have tentatively planned the following spectator schedule below:
|12 pm||Open Singles Quarter-finals|
|2 pm||Brazilian Teams|
|4 pm||Open Singles Semi-Finals|
|6:30 pm||Open Singles Finals|
Recordings of our last tournament were posted on this Youtube channel. We expect to post videos on the same channel this time.
Thank you to all players and spectators for participating in our tournament. If you would like to leave feedback (positive or negative) for our tournament or website, please fill out this Google form.
Local Food and Attractions
After you have finished playing or spectating, you may want to eat dinner and explore the beautiful city of San Diego. Some potential recommendations:
Check out the sea lions at nearby La Jolla Cove. Other daytime summer activities here include kayaking and snorkeling.
Enjoy K-Dramas? Join Kim Tan and Cha Eunsang from The Heirs on their lovely date in Balboa Park, which is also full of family-friendly museums, gardens, and attractions.
We refer participants to the Undercover Tourist for guides and discounts for paid attractions such as the USS Midway and local theme parks.
This page was last updated September 7, 2021.